Apple says Epic’s App Store indictment is “part of a marketing campaign” to fuel interest in Fortnite. That interest was reportedly faded last year, which is why Epic is going into the legal battle, the company claims.
N interest in Fortnite is 70 percent lower than last October, claims Apple in response to Epic’s indictment. What’s more, Epic has little to lose with the removal of Fortnite from the App Store: Apple claims epic gets 10 percent of its revenue from iOS. “Epic has told Apple that Apple is “the smallest piece of the pie” in sales. All platforms except Google’s Android have higher revenue per user than iPhones, with some platforms like Xbox and PlayStation a full 70 percent and 40 percent higher than the iPhone.”
A.M., according to Apple, it seems that the reason for suing Apple and Google is primarily a marketing technical reason. “This indictment, and the accompanying headlines on the front page, appear to be part of a marketing campaign to sway interest in Fortnite.”
The legal battle between the two companies began when Epic introduced its own payment system in August, after which Apple removed the game Fortnite from the App Store. Google did the same in its digital app store. With its own payment system, Epic circumvented the mandatory 30 percent payment on payments, but Apple and Google are not allowed to have their own payment system. Not everyone pays 30 percent: Amazon gives Apple 15 percent off.
Acesee came up with a legal complaint against both parties because of the monopoly of the two companies and the restrictions of the policy for third parties. In an earlier preliminary ruling, a judge ruled that Apple may block Fortnite, but the developer account epic owns for the Unreal engine should not be banned. This case between Apple and Epic officially begins on September 28,